Assessment of Nurses Nutritional Knowledge and Care of Hospitalized Patients with Fractures: A Case of Muhimbili Orthopaedic Institute (MOI)

Mariana E. Kessy, Leonard W.T Fweja

Abstract


Nutrition knowledge is a key element for health care professionals in hospital settings in addressing nutrition related problems. This study was conducted to assess nutritional knowledge of nurses and care practices of hospitalised patients with fractures at Muhimbili Orthopaedic Institute (MOI). A total of 30 nurses who consented and provided a wider representation of nurses working in MOI were randomly sampled. The study design was descriptive cross sectional survey in which data were collected by using self-administered questionnaire. The data were analyzed using SPSS Version 18 statistical package using descriptive statistics as an analytical tool. The age of nurses ranged between 25 and 50 years with an overall average age of 38.7±7 years. The education qualification held by most nurses was nursing diploma (90%) and 10% were degree holders. On the other hand 90% of nurses had training in basic nutrition and 6.7% in clinical nutrition. The curriculum integrated nutrition for 90% of the surveyed nurses and

13.3% had also attended formal nutritional training at one moment in time. The average score was 74.1% for the nurses’ nutrition knowledge and 54.3% for nurses’ knowledge on nutrients requirements for patients with fractures. Altitude was measured using 8 statements that reflected the nurses’ views in nutrition management and care of patients with fractures. A positive altitude was recorded in 6 altitude testing statements that ranged from 70 – 100%. However, apart from their positive altitude it was observed that over 50% of nurses had never provided any nutrition plan for patients with fractures during their career. The results generally imply that the nurses’ nutrition knowledge needs to be continuously enhanced through training and also instill them with a nutritional based culture in handling patients.


Full Text:

PDF

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.